Is Limu Miracle cure? Or is Limu Scam?
The first time I heard about Limu, my immediate reaction was, ‘Oh great, another magical potion that claims to cure everything.’ In short, I wasn’t fully buying it. However, my curiosity was piqued as I read a steady stream of amazing testimonials of Limu helping with a vast assortment of what seemed to be unrelated diseases and ailments. So I set out in search of facts to either substantiate or weaken the near miraculous claims I had heard about Limu. Many scientific articles later, what I discovered was that the questions circling this dilemma seem almost endless. So, let’s take an objective look at the claims about this ‘snake oil’ and what could possibly be happening at the cellular level.
What is Limu?
Limu is a Nutritional Supplement that is manufactured through a patented chemical free extraction of the seaweed LIMU Moui from the region around Tonga. It contains over 70 vital nutrients that would appear to have effects on many different diseases in humans and pets.
Is Limu just the next snake oil?
The problem that most people have is they are naturally skeptical, and rightly so. Whenever a product comes along claiming to cure many different ailments, immediately a red flag goes off in our head and we start to assume it is just another snake oil. One of the past characteristics of snake oil was that no one knew what was in it therefore people could claim whatever they wanted about it since there was nothing to compare it to. We know what is in Limu and we can see the science behind it.
What is the science behind Limu? And how can it possibly affect so many different health concerns?
The science behind Limu is extensive. There are numerous studies on each of the 70 nutrients that are naturally found in Limu. Without a doubt, the main nutrient that is raising excitement is Fucoidan, a sulfated polysaccharide that is not found in any land-based plants. A quick search on Pubmed.gov will lend over 1100 different studies on fucoidan’s anti-cancer, anti-viral, immune-building properties as well as its powerfully positive effects on blood pressure, diabetes, memory loss, etc.
A common link in illnesses and diseases.
At first glance the connection between: cancer, diabetes, thyroid issues, depression, allergies, inflammation, memory loss, blood pressure, cholesterol would seem shoddy at best.
A possible link could be cortisol. In fact, cortisol is the foundation of the entire endocrine system.
Cortisol, isn’t that the stress hormone? You may be asking.
Cortisol is the stress hormone therefore that is where most people stop, but cortisol is one of the most important parts of our entire human system. It is a fine balance between healthy and unhealthy. It can be the difference maker between having a disease and your body healing it.
From a Mayo Clinic Study on stress we find that
“The long-term activation of the stress-response system — and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones — can disrupt almost all your body’s processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:
- Digestive problems
- Heart disease
- Sleep problems
- Weight gain
- Memory and concentration impairment”
Stanford did a study in 2000 showing that
Stress hormone (cortisol) may contribute to breast cancer deaths
Through other research it is easy to find links between unregulated cortisol levels and
- Suppressed immunity
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Insulin resistance
- Carbohydrate cravings
- Metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes
- Fat deposits on the face, neck, and belly
- Reduced libido
- Bone loss
- Teeth Grinding
- Restless Legs
- Hot Flashes
So from what is seems cortisol is always bad for us since all these problems stem from increased cortisol levels. But further observance would show that cortisol is used to bring relief or healing to all of the same issues.
For instance we can easily see that cortisol is used to
- help the body to manage stress
- convert protein into glucose to boost flagging blood sugar levels
- work in tandem with the hormone insulin to maintain constant blood sugar levels
- reduce inflammation
- contribute to the maintenance of constant blood pressure
- contribute to the workings of the immune system
Also we see many drugs on the market that mimic cortisol and are used to treat
- skin disorders – such as psoriasis
- inflammatory diseases – such as asthma, ulcerative colitis, lupus and some forms of arthritis
- cancer – particularly cancers related to the immune system, such as leukaemia and lymphoma
- organ transplant – corticosteroids are used to inhibit the body’s immune response so that a transplanted organ is not rejected
- Addison’s disease – an autoimmune disorder that stops the adrenal glands from making sufficient hormones, including cortisol.
The problem with many of these prescription drugs that mimic cortisol is that they also have many horrible side effects. They also usually address one issue while creating another issue within the body.
Therefore, if cortisol levels could be naturally regulated through nutrition, our body would heal itself without the use of harmful pharmaceuticals.
How can Cortisol be both the cause of these diseases and the cure?
The answer lies in what cortisol does exactly. Cortisol is produced in the adrenal gland. It is part of our ‘fight or flight’ response, which means it is the messenger that tells the body to kick into gear and attack a potential threat, whether physical (inflammation, a virus, etc.) or emotional (fear, stress, etc). For instance, when a part of the body becomes inflamed, cortisol is responsible for sending out anti-inflammatory agents to bring down the inflammation. The same goes for allergies, viruses, sleep, blood levels, cholesterol, etc.
However, when there is a constant release of cortisol, such as when a person is under constant stress, cortisol is spread too thin within the body. Thus, when a problem arises, such as when a virus attacks the body, there is insufficient cortisol remaining in the body to combat the virus. The virus is left unchecked, and the body gets sick. Sickness then causes more stress on the body, more cortisol is spread to the wrong areas, and in turn, what is called a ‘negative cortisol feedback loop’ is perpetuated.
Bottom line: maintaining proper cortisol levels in the body is vital to good health; however, unregulated cortisol levels can be extremely problematic to the health of the body.
Does Limu regulate Cortisol levels?
We do know that Vitamin C has been shown to have an effect on inhibiting cortisol – In the animal studies, vitamin C fed to rats undergoing stress not only prevented the expected increase in cortisol levels, it prevented the animals from exhibiting the known signs of physical and emotional stress, including loss of body weight. Animals that did not receive vitamin C had three times the level of stress hormones. Link to Study
“Pay particular attention to obtaining sufficient quantities of vitamins B1, B5 and B6 for improving cortisol levels. Vitamins B1 and B6 promote healthy cortisol levels by supporting adrenal gland function, says naturopath Peter D’Adamo, author of the book “Live Right For Your Type.” Vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic acid, is easily depleted by stress, and supplementing with extra amounts during stressful times will help prevent cortisol fluctuations. Zinc may reduce your stress response and decrease cortisol levels. D’Adamo recommends 15 to 25 mg of zinc per day.” Link to Website
Magnesium: A mineral essential for nerve function and maintaining muscle, athletes have been using magnesium for years because it can prevent the body from experiencing a cortisol spike after a workout. Magnesium helps to regulate cortisol levels and supports adrenal health – Link to website
Also we know Amino Acids such as gluatamine and tyrosine have been linked to cortisol regulation. We also see other minerals such as selenium, zinc, copper, tie into cortisol function.
Based on the nutrients in Limu it could potentially have an effect on cortisol and the many diseases linked to it or it could be some other factors caused by the complexity of the combination of so many important nutrients.
As we look further into the different nutrients in Limu; we can see how each one works on different functions of our body. Therefore, as more and more amazing testimonies come in from so many different types of diseases we begin to see our body is a complex connection of organs, and nutrients. Each of these nurtients help each bring about proper function and bring wholeness to our bodies. Cortisol regulation may or may not be the common factor; however, we can easily see that one product with the correct amount of different nutrients can have a far reaching effect on many parts of our body.
Below we see the nutrients and common functions of each:
• Glutamine A Vision, cell division, reproduction, immunity
• Glycine B1 (Thiamine) Regulates mood
• Histidine B2 (Riboflavin) Regulates mood
• Isoleucine B3 (Niacin) Nerves, skin, digestive system
• Leucine B5 (Pantothenic Acid) Anti-stress and fat metabolism
• Lysine B6 Needed for enzymes and protein metabolism
• Methionine B9 (Folic Acid) Used to make new cells
• Phenylalanine B12 Regulates mood
• Proline Beta Carotene Cancer prevention and bone health
• Serine C Wound healing, Limu has more than oranges
• Threonine D Maintains normal calcium levels in the blood
• Tryptophan E Antioxidant, anti-coagulant, cell development
• Tyrosine Lecithin Breaks down fatty deposits under the skin
• Valine Biotin Cell growth, fat metabolism
Saccharides–Glyconutrients (Essential Sugars) Minerals
• Alginic Acid Block absorption of radioactive material and free radicals Boron Works with other nutrients for optimum function•
• Galactose The typical diet yields only galactose and Organic Chlorides Essential for
stomach acid production
• L-Fuctose glucose. Glyconutrients encourage natural Chromium Cell nourishment and energy
• Mannose killer cells to fight disease. These will make Copper Essential for all life
• Sulfate the immune system more able to fight illness Iodine Optimal thyroid health and metabolism
• Uronic Acid and degenerative disease. Iron Thyroid health, formation of red blood cells
• Xylose Glyconutrients promote cellular communication. Magnesium Fights depression
• Manganese Fertility and bone formation
Amino Acids (Building Blocks of Proteins) Phosphorus Bone and tooth health
• Alanine Potassium Essential for nerve and heart function
• Arginine These are the building blocks of life. Selenium Protects against cancer, thyroid function
• Asparagine They are involved in every metabolic process Sodium Essential for nerve function
• Aspartic Acid occurring in the body such as brain activity, Zinc Optimal thyroid health, wound healing
• Cysteine hormone secretion, and enzyme manufacture.
• Glutamic Acid
Sterols Form part of the cellular membrane. These are non- Essential Fatty Acids
• 24-Methylene-Cholesterol cholesterol that block the absorption of cholesterol. Omega 3 Good fat, prevents cardiovascular disease
• Fuco-sterol Increases antioxidant enzymes in the body. Omega 6 Works with omega 3 for optimal health
Mucilage Satisfy hunger, strengthen hair, skin, nails Laminarin Anticlotting and anticancer compound
• Chlorophyll Nourishes red blood cells Polyphenols Anti-oxidants, prevents heavy metal buildup
• Fiber Aids digestion, promotes feeling of fullness
In conclusion, it is very feasible that this one uniquely nutrient-rich product could deliver astounding results in such a wide array of diseases and ailments, maybe due to a common link in cortisol or to some other factor. The results are not because Limu is a miracle cure; it is because our bodies are designed to heal themselves if given the proper nutrition. Limu contains these power-packed nutrients in levels and proportions that can not be found in any land based plant. So Drink Up!
More information on Limu Click Image
The contents of this blog have not been approved by the FDA or the Limu Company. None of the nutrients spoken of are designed to cure or treat diseases. This is simply a nutritional supplement that may have effects on your nutrition. Everything written here is based on theory.
The products and statements made about specific products on this web site have not been evaluated by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. All information provided on this web site or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new vitamins, supplements, diet, or exercise program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem.